Thread: Have I been playing this game all wrong?

First Lieutenant
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae Victis

Have I been playing this game all wrong?

I've had some good and loooong hours with this game, but it recently occurred to me that my games do not focus on the POPS at all... Sure I try to watch my militancy levels, but beyond that, I don't care much who's happy or not and in doesn't feel like I'm missing anything.

Would be curious to get opinions on that; mainly my question is, am I missing a key to greater success managing my countries?

Quote Originally Posted by GillesDeRais View Post
    I've had some good and loooong hours with this game, but it recently occurred to me that my games do not focus on the POPS at all... Sure I try to watch my militancy levels, but beyond that, I don't care much who's happy or not and in doesn't feel like I'm missing anything.

Would be curious to get opinions on that; mainly my question is, am I missing a key to greater success managing my countries?
    Simply put: yes.

One big factor for research, at least early on, is your literacy and, more importantly, the clergy population percentage. Clergy contribute to research and educate people. If you don't have clergy, then their not educating and your literacy is suffering. Literacy and clergy both contribute greatly to research rate.

Capitalists populations will build your industry.

Craftsmen fill your factories.

Artisans need to burn in heck.

Etcetera etcetera.

I would definitely suggest playing a small nation like Greece or Venezuela to learn more about how your populations really change your available actions.
    Co-Founder of the MLCP Project! Don't know what that is? Well, it's:
    My Little Crusader Pony!
    NOTE: No playable build, ergo: broken link.

Shameless Aston Villa fan. sgt.stickybomb's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

If you don't keep them happy, they either rebel, demote, or migrate.
    “Napalm sticks to kids” is *not* a motivational phrase.
    Petrarchs Predictions for 2014: Liverpool will win the league(haha). England will win the world Cup(haha). UKIP will win EU 2014 election. Screencap it.
    Rock on Rockall.
    Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason? For if it prosper, none dare call it Treason. John Harington (from Andre Bolkonsky)
    Welcome to they apocalypse I hope you like leather

First Lieutenant
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae Victis

I was drafting a reply and realized I was unclear.

Yes, as far as literacy and clergy goes, I do consider them a priority. In general, I try to keep my POPS at the needed levels for society to progress, according to set priorities: clergy to improve literacy, then officers or bureaucrats, then craftsmen etc... But it's mostly about shifting around the NF and in terms of taxation, I focus on balancing my budget and having enough money to build up, whether the people like paying or not. Only once I have an adequate cash flow do I consider lowering taxes or tarriffs.

The only thing I watch is reforming if the militancy gets too high (though I often deliberatley push it up to scare the UH into reforms).

So in fact, it's the economic wellfare of the people that is not a concern to me, to be precise, I don't use all those detailed screens on offer and demand and on POPS saving up stuff; should I?

You don't really need to micromanage it or anything but you should know that it does affect your nation in certain ways. Firstly you have promotions and demotions of pops, which happens automatically but sometimes you want to be paying attention to it. For example if you have factories but no clerks and you want to get some clerks, than you need to make sure your craftsmen get all their needs met and are saving up some money so that some of them will promote to clerks(as only craftsmen are capable of promoting to clerks). Secondly your local market is your pops and those in your sphere, so pops with money saved up can afford to buy your factories' products whereas pops without money won't be. So having pops with money on their hands allows you to support a higher industrial base without relying on the global market(to which you're competing with every other nation on earth). The rest has already been covered: literacy, militancy, etc.