Thread: Why are all my factoris closed?

Why are all my factoris closed?

I am playing as Venezuela. It is 1920. I have managed to expanded pretty well in South America. Being sure to stay away from Brazil. It helped being allied with UK for most of the game. Recently however I lost that alliance. I have been stuck in a Lassiez Faire Democracy almost of the game and have only been able to pass 1 reform, outlaw slavery.

My question is this. Recently France added me to their sphere. After that all my factories (only 8 or 9) closed. I have 2000-3000 unemployed craftsmen in those states but my capitalists will not invest. I look at the budget screen and many of them are not getting their needs met, despite setting their taxes at 0.

Is being sphered that bad? What can I do.

This is my 3rd or 4th attempt at this game and I have finally had some success, but cannot figure out where to go from here.

Yes, it's that bad in the late game because all the resources in your entire sphere first go to France and only the left overs reach you and your spherelings. So basically if France's factories were using up all the resources produced inside the sphere than your factories simply had no available resources to use since unless your prestige is high, which it probably isn't if you're not a GP, your buying priority in the global market is very low. No resources means no products means no profits means factories shut down because you can't subsidize them in LF. Honestly though, how are you not a GP in 1920?

Because I suck at this game I guess. It's the first time I've managed to stick with a full game so I'm just happy to have risen from 40th to 23rd. I would like to get my factories going again however. Any way to get myself "un-sphered"?

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionMarch of the EaglesVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by reedrosa View Post
    Because I suck at this game I guess. It's the first time I've managed to stick with a full game so I'm just happy to have risen from 40th to 23rd. I would like to get my factories going again however. Any way to get myself "un-sphered"?
    Reach 16th place (Secondary Power status) and remove yourself from France's sphere (note: this has risks), or reach 8th place so that you become a GP.

The tricky part is, of course, doing either of those things when you are being resource-starved due to being a sphereling.

If you're lucky, France will collapse to rebels (which breaks all their diplomatic ties, including emptying their sphere and releasing all their puppets). I can't remember whether having your own rebels succeed will eject you from a GP's sphere.
    If you think someone's trolling, PM a moderator.
    Ask your quick modding questions in the appropriate place.
    The Hostile Core Creation modifier is defective-by-design and must be replaced or revamped.
    Regency Council hard lockout of wardec is defective-by-design and must be replaced.

A successful political rebellion in your country will sever all foreign ties. With all those unemployed craftsmen and no social reforms, you should have the makings for a communist uprising.

I've had a couple uprisings yes. But I've always put them down. What do I do? Just let rebels start an uprising and ignore it?

I've had a couple uprisings yes. But I've always put them down. What do I do? Just let rebels start an uprising and ignore it?
    Let the ones in the capital stay alive, kill the rest, and wait. If there are no rebels in your capital, chances are they'll take all the other provinces before they take your capital, because they're dumbasses, so you might want to wait for the next round.

Rebels were trying to take Caracas this morning when I played. I will play this evening and hope something happens. So I guess inthis game rebels are not always a bad thing. Unlike CK2 or EU4.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionMarch of the EaglesVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Rebels were trying to take Caracas this morning when I played. I will play this evening and hope something happens. So I guess inthis game rebels are not always a bad thing. Unlike CK2 or EU4.
    There are one or two rebel types in EU4 that can be a wonderful thing. (Revolutionaries, Pretenders, own-religion Zealots).
    If you think someone's trolling, PM a moderator.
    Ask your quick modding questions in the appropriate place.
    The Hostile Core Creation modifier is defective-by-design and must be replaced or revamped.
    Regency Council hard lockout of wardec is defective-by-design and must be replaced.

They need to occupy your capital. You can try shepherding them in that direction (move your military to surround them, but don't attack them, and leave provinces in the direction of your capital unguarded). Alternately, just avoid engagement. Follow them and reoccupy the provinces they take after they've moved on and wait for them to reach the capital.

Also, keep an eye on what their ideology is. It is better if they are communists or fascists (for the social reforms and an economic policy that will let you reopen and build factories). Reactionaries should at least get you State Capitalism to fix your factory situation. Anarcho-Liberals will keep you trapped in Laissez Faire and you'll have to wait for your capitalists to get off their butts and fix things.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try this strategy tonight. After a year of on and off trying this game I think it is starting to make sense.

OK I allowed Gran Colombian Nationalists to take over. Big mistake. They created their new country and left me with only 1 province, Caracas, as Venezuela. I'll reload and see if some other group tries.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCities: Skylines

OK I allowed Gran Colombian Nationalists to take over. Big mistake. They created their new country and left me with only 1 province, Caracas, as Venezuela. I'll reload and see if some other group tries.
    Always crush Nationalists in your country. Always. The ones you want are Jacobins, Communists, Fascists or Reactionaries.

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaEUIV: Art of WarCities: Skylines

Don't let nationalists of any kind win because as the name implies, they're nationalists, they want to break off from your country. Also as you're playing with an american nation, don't ever leave democracy.

EDIT: Also, the AI sucks at fighting overseas war, you can successfully fight off France with 10-20 brigades (assuming you're on par with military techs) as their idea of an overseas invasion is dropping a 30-40k stack on your shores every year or so.
    Last edited by Liborio; 29-03-2015 at 17:19.

Covert Mastermind Demi Moderator Secret Master's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVCrusader Kings II: Limited Collectors Edition

You may also want to look at whether France has any industrial niches they have no filled. Even if France is sucking your resources dry, there are often intermediate industries that you can get into that will provide employment.

I would also look at liquor as an industry you can use to provide employment. I would be very surprised if you can't scrounge up some grain and sell some booze (although France might be overproducing liquor, too).
    All Hail Him,

The Secret Master

Note: If I write a post in this hideous color, I am speaking as a Demi-Moderator. Paying attention is strongly advised.

Because you spelled them wrong.