Thread: Grand Strategy best practices since HoD

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneImpireVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of WarCrusader Kings II: Way of LifeCities: Skylines

Grand Strategy best practices since HoD

I'm curious what best practices from the other Paradox titles such as CK2 and EU4 either from the base games, DLCs, and/or mods you'd think should be adapted to the Vicky universe.

- My first thought would be the CK2 war goals which would differentiate between acquiring between a province vs a state depending on your CB. For instance, wars of unification should only cover an entire state if the entire state has cores and by province-level otherwise with war cost adjusted appropriately
    - National ideas from EU4 are probably originally a take from Vicky with its Order, Equality, Liberty options, but I would think EU has made them much more interesting and flavorful

Those are a few thoughts off the top of my head. I'm sure I could get much more creative for Vicky3 requests but I'm actually more thinking of some modding ideas to add some of these best practices to V2 with mods.

Thoughts?
    10 centuries in 5 minutes: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvlp7cBWwIw

200 Countries, 200 Years, 4 Minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSRLYSojo

True size of Africa http://static02.mediaite.com/geekosy...-of-africa.jpg

Did the Anglo-Saxon "invasion" actually happen? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoA9UmM0pok

Second Lieutenant OmegaSquadBWA's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne
    EUIV: Art of WarCrusader Kings II: Way of LifeEUIV: El Dorado

Provincial war goals as well as state war goals would be nice.

Lots of QOL improvements, but that's probably a given.

I like the idea of taking individual provinces, but that may lead to odd things with states and pops.

Factions, from both EU4 and CK2, might offer an interesting way to retool the Vicky political system.

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis86 View Post
    Lots of QOL improvements, but that's probably a given.

Factions, from both EU4 and CK2, might offer an interesting way to retool the Vicky political system.
    Factions from EU4? Is that Ming or something else like LA?

Areas where I feel Vic2 has the lead:
    -Trade, Though definitely improveable (please no EU4 fixed prices).
    -Technology and Inventions. I think the invention mechanic is fantastic and hope it continues. HoI3 tech tree far more detailed but less suitable to Vicky timescale.
    -Politics, but is the only one to really feature it (and I don't mean the CK2 WoL 'politics'!). I suspect players will ask for more control but I like that it is a gradual process (without the aid of a revolution). I'd like to see some sort of effectiveness or stability system, so that established governments are more effective and less liable to revolt than one which is very volatile or where the monarch is constantly chopping and changing.
    -Pops, enough said.
    -Industrialisation, it could be more detailed but still the best representation.

Areas where Vic2 superseded:
    -(General) Diplomacy - Far better implemented with better AI in other games. I like the SoI a lot but would like to see the implementation of 'soft' diplomacy that arose at that time.
    - War (and diplomacy) - I like the soldier Pop-base (please no arbitrary manpower) but given the time period it has the worst of EU4 and HOI3 military systems. War on this period undertook a revolution but trench warfare feels no difference that putting down rebels with you irregulars. I'd love a system where military tactics evolved throughout the game. The first Great War had immense human cost and sapped the energy from all involved.
    - Events - I'd love an internal crisis style system similar to EU4, but would want it to lead to historical events rather than EU4s arbitrary generic penalties. Would love to see inventions such as the Olympics and World Trade Fairs opened up to diplomacy as they were considered a powerful diplomatic tool of the time.
    - As already said, general ease
    Of use improvements and a new shiny map!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneImpireVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of WarCrusader Kings II: Way of LifeCities: Skylines

I was thinking of trying to do something like autonomy and accepting rebel demands as well. So, for example, if you get rebels in Canada that want to break away, instead of letting them win and completely losing them you can voluntarily give them dominion status. It would then give the new satellite a modifier that significantly reduces militancy.
    10 centuries in 5 minutes: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvlp7cBWwIw

200 Countries, 200 Years, 4 Minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSRLYSojo

True size of Africa http://static02.mediaite.com/geekosy...-of-africa.jpg

Did the Anglo-Saxon "invasion" actually happen? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoA9UmM0pok