Thread: What to do with Scandinavia

Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

What to do with Scandinavia

So, it's about 1863. I got a Gutter Scandinavia (saved it as an alt since I lost a good bunch of prestige of course), that was kind of my goal but I didn't expect it to happen so early. Now to be honest I really don't have much to do. I'll go for Africa when the scramble comes but I don't want to extend into Asia or anything like that. I'm wondering if there are any interesting, obtainable objectives I could go for up until 1935? I'd like to take some of North Germany but I lost my foot-hold after Britain and Prussia tag teamed me, I capitulated very quickly before any more wargoals could be added. I'd like to take Finland from the Ruskis at some point but for now that's unobtainable. :/

Its pathetically easy to beat Russia as Scandinavia so that shouldn't be a problem. It will become hard if either UK or Prussia allies Russia, but even then I've still beaten the AI to a pulp alone vs UK/Russia so its not impossible. Make sure you have 5% soldiers and all the latest army techs and you will actually outnumber AI Russia with far better quality troops.

Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Is it a case of playing a defensive war and just chewing up their doomstacks? The thing is the Russians can replenish their armies so quickly and after I do the same two or three times, even with 3 NF on producing soldiers eventually I will only have about half the units I did before I entered said hypthetical war.

I remember as Scandinavia (finland included), fighting war(s) with Russia that was cyclical in nature - start with a summertime/late spring offensive to kill a bunch of their guys (who are likely not fully funded, and Russia tends to spread its troops around) - so you can hit fast without getting the whole Russian army in your business. Then beat a retreat as fall hits, let attrition kill their stacks. Rinse, wash, repeat for a while until it seems safe to start advancing and occupying. If you're lucky Russia's lack of stability will take care of some troops for you as well.

Build a strong navy and pick colonial opportunities. When I play Scandinavia I don't like expanding south beyond Kiel - the one province choke point means you can just about hold off European aggressors in purely defensive wars. Pick the right sides in the European squabbles and you might get lucky and be gifted Finland from a collapsing Russia.
    CK AAR:1066 and all that (Like the book, it's short and has jokes in)

it is very easy to defeat the russians as long as your military tech is better than theirs you should be able to beat them. if you take finland the russians get an event to change their capital to Moscow so you can then take st petersburg and the baltic states afterwards.

Not wanting to expand into Asia is a mistake with Scandinavia. I mean, it can be done obviously, but it severely limits your options and handicaps you. Now, Asia doesn't necessarily mean China, you can stay out of China if you're among the people considering that cheesy. However taking the likes of Atjeh, Johore, Brunai, Siam, Dai Nam, Cambodia and Burma is very much recommended. You'll get some much needed manpower, though nowhere near the amounts you get from China, and more importantly you secure yourself a good amount of tropical wood(you have plenty of timber in Scandinavia so you'll need tropical wood for the luxury furniture factories) and rubber along with some precious metals in Johore, Oil in Brunei and a few other nice resources. With Indochina you can easily contest Russia and even Prussia/NGF if you want to prevent the formation of Germany and even beat them back taking the Baltic coastline for yourself. Without it you'll still be able to fight defensively against Russia for Finland but when it comes to Prussia/NGF and any other not backwards GP you'll greatly struggle.

As for what to do with Scandinavia. If going for Indochina than you can monopolize rubber by sphering Brazil and taking most or all the rubber provinces in central Africa. That will mean your late game industries will be the only ones getting their input demands met, monopolizing all the late game materials, from electric gears to tanks to radios and everything in between. This also means that if you choose to do it you can be the only nation with tanks, airplanes and dreadnoughts, since you're the only producer you can buy up your entire production(using the manual scales in the trade screen) leaving your enemies unable to produce the late game units. If not than you can just focus on developing your normal industry and try to compete with the greater powers in the world. Conquest in Europe without Asian territories will be extremely difficult other than territories from Russia because Russia is so backwards and in the hands of the AI never truly recovers from its technological inferiority. As for Russia, it's simply a pain in the rear to fight, because it's so huge so it requires a ton of occupations to get the war score you need, which inevitably leads to extremely long wars that aren't nearly as profitable as they should be. So while it's very much possible, it's not really worth while from an economic perspective.

Hmm, I never really thought about the economic aspect. To be honest I'm just too lazy to start a war with Brunei when it's on the other side of the world, on top of that I need to improve my supply lines because my ships are decaying by the time they get to the Arabian peninsula. I've just started colonising Central Africa but I think I'll wait to take on Russia until they collapse and go Commie or something. Maybe if they break their alliance with France I can strike for Finland. Thanks for your input about economics, I never really thought of playing econowarfare haha.

Having a strong navy is a bonus for scandinavia.

As for taking Russia, the other option is to rush and place troops in southern finland and karelia with some smaller stack occupying land behind front lines. I've never done this before amassing a reasonable size colonial army though. Be careful, as your lovely german neighbour will pounce on you if you are militarily weak.

Coal runs out pretty fast, so make sure you have a good supply. There are much better targets than johore and brunei if you are expanding in Asia.

I've had some fun reclaiming north america to the viking power. Get Cuba as a launching pad for future attacks.

Korea is a good option to grab also in Asia.