Thread: My 1st complete game was a success some thoughts and some lessons

My 1st complete game was a success some thoughts and some lessons

Hi, I recently decided to commit to a full game after failing a few times as Sweden and Sardinia. I decided to go with Brazil this time.

I ended up in 6th place overall. I managed to get up to 5th but I screwed up in Great War 2 and that made me drop to 7th but I managed to climb back. Some things I at least seemed to gather that are necessary for a semi succesful game.

- Lesson #1 Pops=Power, more pops= more taxes= more soldiers=more workers=more everything. I finally understand why people recommend going after high population provinces now. My African colonies gave me tons of Soldiers and taxes.

-Lesson # 2 Pops are not everything, yeah I know what I said! Japan, had half of my population and yet Japan overtook me in industry, prestige and military score. Prestige was my fault, but Japan managed its pops better to get a much much higher Ind score. Think of Pops as money, more is better but in the end if you blow it all away gambling it wonīt matter much.

-Lesson # 3 Education Pays off. I kept my Education spending at full and encouraged clergymen to 4% in all my states. By 1880-1890 I had my literacy at 99% and I was the highest literacy great power. In the end I outteched them in many ways. The USA didnīt manage to research everything and I did. Brazil starts at 7% literacy, USA at 40 ish.

-Lesson #4, Colonies are awesome. I colonized most of the Niger Delta and around Sokoto. They gave me tons of pops and resources for almost no commitment.

Lesson # 5, A story of Hubris. I won GW1 by well, allying Germany(it was little Germany then) I mostly mucjed around Africa and Germany won most of the land fighting. GW2 happens, I decide to not Mobilize because I had Germany as an ally and many more spherelings. Germany was Greater Germany then. Germany got overrun and by the time I mobilized it was all over. Anyways, basically Mobilization is there for a purpose donīt be greedy. This big wars are about being there fast and in great numbers, your professional army is mostly to get good posotions and wait for reinforcements

Lesson #6, Industrialization is about moving your people from the countryside to factories. I was # 1 producer in radios, planes and tanks yet my industry score was relatively low. I loaded as Germany, UK and Japan. One thing stood out for me. The % of craftsmen was much higher than mine they had from 50 to 30% of their population in factories. 90% of mine was still in farms and mines. I saw they used most of their Focus points in encouraging workers after getting my priests I used them encouraging inmigration and inmigration and soldiers. I kinda wish I hadnīt culd have been much higher.

I think my nest playthrough will be as the USA to learn about a pure Democracy and see of I can do better this time. I plan on having 50% of my population as workers and hopefully I will manage stuff better. Still, awesome game I had a blast.

Anyways feel free to correct a newbie

Focusing on soldiers of you need some early troops isn't bad; it's all about focusing the correct things at the correct time. Usually can't go wrong with clergy to 4% with such as illiterate country. After clergy, i do administrative to 1% for max pop promotion efficiency. Then i promote Soldiers to 2% minimum and let natural promotion take care of the rest. My next and last priority (by now i am in the mid game when colonization and big time industrialization is going on) I'll switch to heavy craftsmen promotion for the rest of the game.

Why do i wait for midgame for craftsmen promotion? Number one reason is because early game resources give you more money than industry does. By midgame, one usually has a wealthy set of Capitalists and can start focusing on rapid industrialization. I promote troops early on because 3% or more trrops gives me much more strategic flexibility than the same amount of any other pop.

If you are going to play U.S. i recommend you try to get a piece of Africa during the rush there and try help China modernize. China modernizing gives you a huge influx of immigrants when it modernizes and having China and Japan as GPs will eliminate two GPs in Europe which i always thought was fun. If you are feeling frisky, try release India from Great Britain. It's great fun xD

Not sure how you exactly managed to have your mines full with workers. In my last run, I had a hudge and constant load of craftsmen immigrants. It was nice early on as it allowed to immediately setup factories that had plenty of manpower, but eventually I also had 3k unemployed craftsmen in Amazonia (and in most states at first), because apparently it was a nice place to search for a job. Most of my funds were for funding factories in non tropical regions though I had to build some a bit everywhere for my workers to have a job and keep being an attractive country for immigrants. It ended up with around 50% of my POP in Amazonia being soldiers by the time I setup a factory there. In the other hand, most of my farms/mines were slowly loosing workers I think, probably in favor of facilities/army (I lacked the men early on so I did invest too much in retrospect). It's not really bad in itself though I had tried to setup a selfsuficient economic base by acquiring states with key trade goods, which proved useless as it employed very few people in the mines.

Quote Originally Posted by WSnova View Post
    Hi, I recently decided to commit to a full game after failing a few times as Sweden and Sardinia. I decided to go with Brazil this time.

I ended up in 6th place overall. I managed to get up to 5th but I screwed up in Great War 2 and that made me drop to 7th but I managed to climb back. Some things I at least seemed to gather that are necessary for a semi succesful game.

- Lesson #1 Pops=Power, more pops= more taxes= more soldiers=more workers=more everything. I finally understand why people recommend going after high population provinces now. My African colonies gave me tons of Soldiers and taxes.

-Lesson # 2 Pops are not everything, yeah I know what I said! Japan, had half of my population and yet Japan overtook me in industry, prestige and military score. Prestige was my fault, but Japan managed its pops better to get a much much higher Ind score. Think of Pops as money, more is better but in the end if you blow it all away gambling it wonīt matter much.

-Lesson # 3 Education Pays off. I kept my Education spending at full and encouraged clergymen to 4% in all my states. By 1880-1890 I had my literacy at 99% and I was the highest literacy great power. In the end I outteched them in many ways. The USA didnīt manage to research everything and I did. Brazil starts at 7% literacy, USA at 40 ish.

-Lesson #4, Colonies are awesome. I colonized most of the Niger Delta and around Sokoto. They gave me tons of pops and resources for almost no commitment.

Lesson # 5, A story of Hubris. I won GW1 by well, allying Germany(it was little Germany then) I mostly mucjed around Africa and Germany won most of the land fighting. GW2 happens, I decide to not Mobilize because I had Germany as an ally and many more spherelings. Germany was Greater Germany then. Germany got overrun and by the time I mobilized it was all over. Anyways, basically Mobilization is there for a purpose donīt be greedy. This big wars are about being there fast and in great numbers, your professional army is mostly to get good posotions and wait for reinforcements

Lesson #6, Industrialization is about moving your people from the countryside to factories. I was # 1 producer in radios, planes and tanks yet my industry score was relatively low. I loaded as Germany, UK and Japan. One thing stood out for me. The % of craftsmen was much higher than mine they had from 50 to 30% of their population in factories. 90% of mine was still in farms and mines. I saw they used most of their Focus points in encouraging workers after getting my priests I used them encouraging inmigration and inmigration and soldiers. I kinda wish I hadnīt culd have been much higher.

I think my nest playthrough will be as the USA to learn about a pure Democracy and see of I can do better this time. I plan on having 50% of my population as workers and hopefully I will manage stuff better. Still, awesome game I had a blast.

Anyways feel free to correct a newbie
    play usca. It's a far more interesting game then usa and is still a pure democracy. i say now knowing this may never be read

Cities in MotionDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneLegioSword of the Stars500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Accrsd View Post
    play usca. It's a far more interesting game then usa and is still a pure democracy. i say now knowing this may never be read
    It has been read and be assured it will forever be printed in my memory !

On Double Secret Probation Comradebot's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    USCA is a nation I absolutely would love to give a spin sometime.

Close the worLd,.txEn eht nepO GAGA Extrem's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    King Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCities: Skylines

Quote Originally Posted by WSnova View Post

(1) Yes, population numbers are one of the major power factors for a nation.
    (2) The trick is to have LITERATE pops. Higher literace means more promotion to craftsmen, clerks and capitalists, thus creating a stronger economy. Also means you have an easier time to set up your pop % for maximum research point income (which means better tech).
    (3) Yes, as said above: literacy is king. Although I'd argue you don't need 4% all the time. For Brazil it's adequate, but somehat literate nations can get by with 2%. The thing is that high clergy % will reduce CON, which means your pops will never demand reforms.
    (4) They are good, but not 100% necessary. And, yes, they require little investment apart from a few steamers and clippers per day.
    (5) Against the AI mobilization is really only needed if you play a small nation. But, yes, when in doubt mobilize early. Better safe than sorry. Also note: You can mobilize against rebels, so if you have a big rebellion of non-poor pops brewing, that might be a life saver.
    (6) That's probably a result of your low literacy throughout the early and mid game. So, yeah, setting craftsmen focus might be better next time.

Donīt Worry I read it!

Will try, but 1st I think I will go for a HOI3 campaign and see how well I do. I did 2 half campaigns as the USA and Germany but I guess I got burned out more than I thought so I quit them halfway.

USCA will be a priority when I come back Unless I get really addicted to HOI3

Covert Mastermind Demi Moderator Secret Master's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVCrusader Kings II: Limited Collectors Edition

Quote Originally Posted by GAGA Extrem View Post
    (1) Yes, population numbers are one of the major power factors for a nation.
    (2) The trick is to have LITERATE pops. Higher literace means more promotion to craftsmen, clerks and capitalists, thus creating a stronger economy. Also means you have an easier time to set up your pop % for maximum research point income (which means better tech).
    Yes, I agree. With the added statement that having colonies with huge numbers of POPs in colonies when you also have a solid industrial base is very important. Conquering portions of Asia can be incredibly lucrative, because it creates a positive feedback loop. Your factories at home buy the resources from your colonies, lining the pockets of your colonial POPs. Then the factories make consumer goods, which are then sold first to your colonial POPs, who now have money to buy those things. On top of that, if your colonies are overproducing resources, POPs at home leave the farms/mines and go become craftsmen. And if a resource is in too much demand for POPs at home to leave their jobs to become craftsmen, then all your POPs working in that type of RGO are making tons of cash, so they can buy up even more of your manufactured goods.

(3) Yes, as said above: literacy is king. Although I'd argue you don't need 4% all the time. For Brazil it's adequate, but somehat literate nations can get by with 2%. The thing is that high clergy % will reduce CON, which means your pops will never demand reforms.
    Yes. Unless I'm playing Russia, Austria, or any other country with a literacy below 20% at game start, I only shoot for 2%. Not only do excessive clergy reduce CON, they cost money and aren't working in productive areas. 4% clergy is a larger "tax" on your economy than 2%, and sometimes it's too much to bear. I can always use more soldiers or craftsmen.

But I want to point something out here. Literacy is king, not percentage of clergy. This means that if you can do things to improve literacy that do not rely on over-promoting clergy, you should do them. Whenever I play a low literacy country, I spend the first 20-30 years focusing on literacy techs while also promoting clergy to 2% or more. Russia has the easiest time doing this, because she starts with avante garde intelligentsia (makes it cheaper to research cultural techs). But any country with horribly low literacy benefits from getting all the techs in place the increase research speed and literacy. The goal is to get Darwinism ASAP (from the biologism tech), for the 50% increase in education efficiency. Once you have that, it's smooth sailing.

Sure, you think you are missing out on other important techs, but once you have that tech in place, you start playing catch up very fast.

(4) They are good, but not 100% necessary. And, yes, they require little investment apart from a few steamers and clippers per day.
    Yes. Colonial states, while not as efficient at generating brigades from soldier POPs, can puff up your army, too.

(5) Against the AI mobilization is really only needed if you play a small nation. But, yes, when in doubt mobilize early. Better safe than sorry. Also note: You can mobilize against rebels, so if you have a big rebellion of non-poor pops brewing, that might be a life saver.
    (6) That's probably a result of your low literacy throughout the early and mid game. So, yeah, setting craftsmen focus might be better next time.
    You can NF soldier POPs early, but I don't do it in the middle or later game once I have medicine unlocked. Natural population growth should keep soldier POPs healthy, along with demotions to soldier from farmers who lose their jobs. Since industry is usually king, keep your NFs for craftsmen once you have enough clergy.
    All Hail Him,

The Secret Master

Note: If I write a post in this hideous color, I am speaking as a Demi-Moderator. Paying attention is strongly advised.