Thread: National Stockpile question

National Stockpile question

Forgive me if this has been asked before but why do you have to purchase items from the world market for your military through your National Stockpile when you already have those items stocked up in the Trade tab?

Basically because what you set in your trade tab is the amount you want to keep stocked up. So if you set your stock at 100 ammo and consume 10 everyday, you'll need to buy 10 everyday, if you reduce your slider in the budget screen you'll buy less to keep the pile at 100.
    In the budget screen you set the flow, not the stock.

I think I get it thanks.

So if your ammo stock is 100 and you are consuming 10 and you set your budget military slider to 50% you'll be buying 5 ammo but your stock will be dropping by 5. Your units won't take an orginization hit for lack of ammo until your stockpile hits 0 in which case you'll have to increase the slider to 100% to get 10 ammo?

Evidently I was wrong. My brigades run out of supplies even if I'm sitting on a full stockpile when not spending on national stockpile in the budget screen.

It's just bizarre my troops sit without ammunition despite the government sitting on a huge stockpile(trade screen) because I currently can't purchase it off the world market due to high demand for example through the budget screen. Why can't they just take from my stockpile?

So nobody knows?

Is the 'allow pops to buy from stockpile' button gone?

Quote Originally Posted by grimkm View Post
    Is the 'allow pops to buy from stockpile' button gone?
    AFAIK yes, it was broken for what I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by El Jojo View Post
    Basically because what you set in your trade tab is the amount you want to keep stocked up. So if you set your stock at 100 ammo and consume 10 everyday, you'll need to buy 10 everyday, if you reduce your slider in the budget screen you'll buy less to keep the pile at 100.
    In the budget screen you set the flow, not the stock.
    To elaborate on what I think El Jojo is trying to convey:

Trade Tab:
    When you set a manual order in the Trade tab to buy/maintain your stockpile for a minimum of 100 ammunition - then your Trade Minister will purchase ammunition until you reach a total stock of 100. Every time your government uses goods from anything that you have set a limit on, your Trade Minister will then immediately buy back goods to refill the stockpile. Whatever is needed per day (See: Government Needs chart in Trade tab) will be bought up by your Trade Minister at the minimum requirement (default automation) unless the player specifies a minimum stockpile to maintain. Since your government always needs ammunition on a day to day basis, then your 100 ammo stockpile is going to constantly be dipped into and then replenished immediately.

Budget Tab
    Since you are fielding an army, that army has requirements to have: Ammunition, Guns, Artillery, Clothing, Food, etc. that have determined costs associated to them that fall under daily needs. Your Trade Minister will buy the required daily needs based off of how high you set the Budget for your Army Maintenance. So say you have a regiment and that regiment needs 10 ammo every day, this cost contributes to your daily needs, which are taken care of by your Trade Minister who acquires as best they can all the ammo they can. If you drop the Army Maintenance down to 50% then you are reducing the amount of goods that the government is willing to pay for to keeping their Military at peak performance; what this means is now your regiment is only going to receive 5 ammo per day and, reducing the amount of stock needed to be purchased, but at the cost of reducing that regiments readiness for war (Organization Penalty).

Trade Stockpiles can be used strategically in various ways. With regards to military units, if you decide to maintain a minimum stockpile of 100 Canned food, 100 Regular Clothing, 100 Guns, 100 Ammo, 100 Artillery etc. then every time you purchase a NEW regiment, rather then forcing your Military to wait until all available goods can been purchased, they can immediately start building the units. This is an effective way of preparing for a future military build up. Say you're a smaller nation who has small access to the world market - you can set certain stockpiles to reach certain levels so that when you're ready for expansion you don't have to wait for something to open up on the world market. This works for construction projects taken on by the government as well; building forts, naval yards, railroads all have resource costs associated to them and sometimes construction will be delayed because of a lack of resources like Steel or Concrete. You can alleviate this problem slightly by planning ahead and building up sizeable stockpiles of construction materials so that your projects don't get delayed by shortages.

There are other ways in which to manipulate the market and utilize the Trade but for the most part I personally use Government Stockpiles for future goals that I know have determinable cost associate to them.

Cities in Motion 2March of the EaglesVictoria 2Europa Universalis IVCities: Skylines

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanos_P View Post
    AFAIK yes, it was broken for what I can remember.
    I tried to find out when it was removed by looking at the patch notes, but I can only find the notes for 1.3. Is there a collection of them somewhere?

Cities in Motion 2March of the EaglesVictoria 2Europa Universalis IVCities: Skylines

Another question about stockpiles: I am not sure I understand the difference between the Buy and Sell options when setting trades. The Buy sets a maximum stockpile size, and the Sell sets a minimum stockpile size. Tell me if I've figured this correctly: With Buy, the stockpile will be stocked with imports from the world market, and with Sell, the stockpile will be stocked first with domestic production with any surplus sold off.

Am I understanding this right?

Edit: Did some experiments, and I was completely wrong. Sell just sells the whole thing. No stockpiling.
    Last edited by Lobau; 07-03-2015 at 07:47.

Yeah, you adjust the slider to the amount you wish to keep. I've read some post around here with people making money buying and selling stockpiled goods..I guess the stockpiles is too low to really crash the world market with particular goods..like we see today with oil. It would be an interesting element, however difficult it could be to implement and not break the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobau View Post
    I tried to find out when it was removed by looking at the patch notes, but I can only find the notes for 1.3. Is there a collection of them somewhere?
    It was removed when A House Divided expansion was released (and the patch that came along with it), if I recall correctly.
    Trade Policy - Protectionism
    Economic Policy - State Capitalism
    Religious Policy - Pluralism
    Citizenship Policy - Limited Citizenship
    War Policy - Jingoism

Quote Originally Posted by mabalogna View Post
    This is an effective way of preparing for a future military build up. Say you're a smaller nation who has small access to the world market - you can set certain stockpiles to reach certain levels so that when you're ready for expansion you don't have to wait for something to open up on the world market. .
    I get that but "as a smaller nation with small access to the world market" those brigades you have created will not then be supplied as the their supplies are sourced from the world market which you don't have access too and not your stockpile.

So there's this strange situation where you can take 100 ammo from your stockpile to create an infantry brigade but not take 5 ammo from that same stockpile to pay for upkeep.

Close the worLd,.txEn eht nepO GAGA Extrem's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    King Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCities: Skylines

It's still better to have a few extra divsions in that case, even if the supply shortage reduces their max ORG and regen.

Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis IV

Guys how can i increase the strength of my transport ships? i have 500 clipper transport stockpile but my transport's strength is still at %2 !