Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating Moments

Opening the game. No, seriously, that's the lamest first hours I've spent in any game ever. Usually when you buy a new game you are super excited in the beginning, not in Victoria 2.
    That was my second attempt to get into it(the first one was a few months ago and ended in miserable failure):
    Since this game does absolutely nothing to introduce the player to its mechanics I decided to watch some YT videos/tutorials and after ~3 hours I thought I was ready to play the game. So, I started as The Two Sicilies. What happened next was a) event spam(liberal movement stuff) and b) this. Then I actually had an event in which one of the options was to lose the campaign. I quit.
    Then I tried as Piedmont. After some preparations and some alliances(Pope and the Swiss) I declared war on The Two Sicilies since I knew that they couldn't afford more than 20-25k men with full maintenance without wrecking their economy completely. So, yea, I declared, Mr. Pope decided he was too cool to wait for me and went alone and got slaughtered by 60k Sicilians. Then those guys slaughtered me too. I quit again. End of attempt #2.

A day may come when I will learn how to play Victoria 2. But it is not this day! This day the damn thing gets shelved again. Bloody hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Neoton View Post
    Opening the game. No, seriously, that's the lamest first hours I've spent in any game ever. Usually when you buy a new game you are super excited in the beginning, not in Victoria 2.
    That was my second attempt to get into it(the first one was a few months ago and ended in miserable failure):
    Since this game does absolutely nothing to introduce the player to its mechanics I decided to watch some YT videos/tutorials and after ~3 hours I thought I was ready to play the game. So, I started as The Two Sicilies. What happened next was a) event spam(liberal movement stuff) and b) this. Then I actually had an event in which one of the options was to lose the campaign. I quit.
    Then I tried as Piedmont. After some preparations and some alliances(Pope and the Swiss) I declared war on The Two Sicilies since I knew that they couldn't afford more than 20-25k men with full maintenance without wrecking their economy completely. So, yea, I declared, Mr. Pope decided he was too cool to wait for me and went alone and got slaughtered by 60k Sicilians. Then those guys slaughtered me too. I quit again. End of attempt #2.

A day may come when I will learn how to play Victoria 2. But it is not this day! This day the damn thing gets shelved again. Bloody hell!
    You should focus on internal affairs and then attack other nations, just have patience and play a full game with a country even if you lost a war or rebel conquered your capital, just for learning. If you pretend to be the perfect nation then the game will be boring before 1900.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerodv View Post
    You should focus on internal affairs and then attack other nations, just have patience and play a full game with a country even if you lost a war or rebel conquered your capital, just for learning. If you pretend to be the perfect nation then the game will be boring before 1900.
    I am sure I will eventually, might take a few other attempts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoton View Post
    I am sure I will eventually, might take a few other attempts though.
    For example, wait for these Liberal Movement and pass some reform to remove militancy in your own country and if Two Sicilies falls to rebel just invade and take everything.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III Collection
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Béal Fierste, pero mi corazón está en España.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzzer View Post
    Off topic but I read this as Neanderthals.
    They are one in the same
    ن
    Irish Brigade Infantry Commander in the Victoria 2 Forum Revolt.

"Our revenge will be the laughter of our children."

Political Offtopic Tactical Assault Team Organization

"Too-ra loo-ra loo-ra loo, They're lookin' for monkeys up in the zoo, And if ever I had a face like you? I'd join the British army."

Currently In Love With: John Guidetti

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaEUIV: Art of WarCities: Skylines

Quote Originally Posted by Xcessum View Post
    Make some social reforms! You're communist for Gods sake!
    I had every social reform passed, but people were just too attached to silly stuff like voting and meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by Liborio View Post
    I had every social reform passed, but people were just too attached to silly stuff like voting and meetings.
    Give them some political reform like no draft, minority protection and immigration and you should be fine

Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Zerodv View Post
    Give them some political reform like no draft, minority protection and immigration and you should be fine
    This screenshot is not from PDM so no such reforms (its also old, i think its from the old /gsg/mod).

Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Here's a frustrating one: knocking Prussia into secondary power status. I've beat their military down to something around rank sixty and their prestige has been reduced significantly. On top of that I've taken their entire sphere minus Denmark but because of their industry I cannot rid the Great Power echelon of their presence! Austria is doomed never to form Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedelvice View Post
    Here's a frustrating one: knocking Prussia into secondary power status. I've beat their military down to something around rank sixty and their prestige has been reduced significantly. On top of that I've taken their entire sphere minus Denmark but because of their industry I cannot rid the Great Power echelon of their presence! Austria is doomed never to form Germany.
    The usual strategy is declare war on them, occupy them until they drop out of GP (occupying reduces industry score) and once they do drop out of GP, add an add to sphere CB and make peace.

Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Ah that's a thought! I'd have to protract the war for a year once they drop out of 8th place though would I not? I was wondering if I waited long enough for my infamy to drain and the current truce to wear off if I could take the Ruhr (I forget the proper name for it IG...west Prussia or whatever it is) from them. Perhaps I could add the CB too? Or just do a sphering one, either way thanks for the info.

Genius! I've tried a number of games as France, in Vanilla HoD, trying to whackamtole Germany. I've made Prussia lose the German Hermanos war, lose the Franco-Prussian war, cut them down to size, but they always rebirth. I can never keep them from forming Germany. I'm hanging on by a thread in my current NNM playthrough only because I've stolen two states from them in Western Germany. Now I've got my first Great War against them which I should win, and if I do with the new Great War mechanics of the mod should write them off once and for all (GB too).

I remember doing the same thing in Vicky1, and managing to puppet Prussia, but the event chain broke whatever machanic was going on causing all kinds of mess.

I managed to take Prussia's clay a year or two ago IG and it's seriously knocked them down, they're still sixth but Japan is catching up fast. I think their industry is in the double digits now where as mine shot up triple. That add-to-sphere CB is gonna be much easier come the next war. Just gotta keep my sphere together until then. Prussia already pinched a few OSM's back.

Colonel
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV

It's extremely hard to get Prussia/Germany out of GP status permanently. Even after taking around 5 of their populous states, leaving it with around 1/3 the population of France, Germany still remained an influential GP to the end of my game.

Quote Originally Posted by LiberiusX View Post
    Switching Tags due to an event or decision resets your relations with the whole world after you load a saved game as the new tag. This has resulted in a couple of unnecessary wars due to my ally dumping me.
    THAT EXPLAINS SO MUCH

Personally, I hate how literally every game of Victoria 2 I've played, I've had to deal with the UK getting all up in my business. They've always got cores you need, or they've sphered your neighbors you want to annex, or you can't supply your army because they buy all of the horses in the world...the worst thing is how useless they are as an ally, they just leave 200k men partying in northern ireland while the world falls apart around them.

Also, wars against Russia.
    Last edited by cold warpgates; 31-01-2015 at 10:39.

Quote Originally Posted by cold warpgates View Post
    Also, wars against Russia.
    Wars against Germany if you play Russia.

Nothing frustrates me more than the stupid and weird restrictions on game mechanics that the developers decided to put in this game...like not being able to rename ships or brigades, or fixed party policies for generic ones.

But moving on, I've had many frustrating games. There was one time when I was playing Brazil, after some time I started fabricating CB on Uruguay. And just 3 DAYS before it finished and I declared war, Britain took it under their sphere. It didn't take long for my entire coastline to be blockaded. Britain also called in France somehow (also friendly with Uruguay).

I defeated some small Anglo-French armies that landed, and seemed to be winning (at least on land). And then stacks after stacks start to land and my armies are too stretched to cover them all. Before they manage to reach them land is occupied and attrition wipes out half of my soldiers. I form my army into one big stack and slowly retake all the land, but then the high war exhaustion kicks in, my population starts rebelling while most of my brigades happily go to join them.

The Brits and Frenchies keep adding wargoals for my coastal lands. Before long they manage to get the warscore to 100% (by completing the blockade of my last free port). I lose all my coastal territories to them except capital territory, rest of the country is rebelling, debt is high, my army is all gone, my industry is all gone, and an extremely tedious Anarcho-Liberal dictatorship is about to begin next month.

Ragequit.

Another was when I played China, westernized extremely fast and became the unbeatable superpower of the world...only for the game to crash right when I was about to win the war against Russia and start steamrolling the rest of Asia.
    Trade Policy - Protectionism
    Economic Policy - State Capitalism
    Religious Policy - Pluralism
    Citizenship Policy - Limited Citizenship
    War Policy - Jingoism

First Lieutenant AndroidEmperor's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IVWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne
    EUIV: Art of WarCrusader Kings II: Way of Life

United Kingdom has intervened in <your war>
    Without revolutionary theory there can be no revolutionary movement. - Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

People, really. Before attacking that particularly juicy small target you so much crave for, go take a look at the diplomatic screen to see if GPs can intervene in their wars (if they are Friendly or higher).

You will save yourself some stress.
    "Nothing has ever come from the south. The axis of history begins in Moscow, goes to Bonn, crosses over to Washington and then goes on to Tokyo. What occurs in the southern world is not important. It is not worth the time."

- Henry Kissinger to the Chilean minister of foreign affairs Gabriel Valdés, 1969

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessV2 Beta
    V2 AHD BetaPride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaEUIV: Art of War

Blog Entries
    Plus it's a really hard habit to learn. I get in more trouble that way.
    I'm a 19th century man inflicting himself upon a 21st century world.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Unbelievers always want other people to act like Christians." - Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. -- Proverbs 17:28
    "If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." -- Joshua 24:15

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast