Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating Moments

Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Frustrating Moments

V2 can be hella fun, but also hella frustrating. I was wondering if we might vent our anger and reel off some frustrating stories. >.>

This isn't directly the fault of V2 but today whilst playing I was fighting four wars as France in about 1860 and winning all of them. In total I was fighting Yemen, Britain, Austria, the Ottoman Empire, Belgium and Russia and beating every single one of them significantly. I had almost beaten down Britain to the point they would have capitulated with a cut down to size wargoal (the second one imposed upon them in ten years).

Then Apple asked if I wanted to update iTunes.

The game crashed.

I lost everything. Could have cried, :'(

Don't you get an autosave every year?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindLead and GoldLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Switching Tags due to an event or decision resets your relations with the whole world after you load a saved game as the new tag. This has resulted in a couple of unnecessary wars due to my ally dumping me.
    Nationality: Dixie
    Occupation: Aristocrat, Clerk, Capitalist, Laborer(I do it ALLLL)
    Religion: Roman Catholic
    Issues: Free trade, Laissez-Faire, Pro-Military, Pluralism, Limited Citizenship
    Consciousness: 8.34(+.0259 next month)
    Militancy: 5.78

MY PC doesn't handle too well Vicky, because it is too old. So sometimes the game goes all appcrash on me for reasons too arcane for me to comprehend.

It happens most trying to read the newspaper, build armies through the build army screen and trying to select armies that are undermanned and are big. But sometimes even opening the production screen or select a province can mean CTD.
    MY PC is just THAT shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_v View Post
    Don't you get an autosave every year?
    Itunes turned it off..?

Well most of the time I quit saves when I start getting too many rebelions, not that I can't beat them but it just gets boring and I always have to postpone my planed wars.So yeah pretty frustrating.Oh and Event spam can get pretty frustrating too.

Wickedness must be stamped out.

Close the worLd,.txEn eht nepO GAGA Extrem's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    King Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCities: Skylines

Quote Originally Posted by Dreams of Glory View Post
    Wickedness must be stamped out.
    It has been - by mods.

Quote Originally Posted by MilosM View Post
    Well most of the time I quit saves when I start getting too many rebelions, not that I can't beat them but it just gets boring and I always have to postpone my planed wars.So yeah pretty frustrating.Oh and Event spam can get pretty frustrating too.
    Deploying a few armies on rebel hunt should fix that. If it doesn't fix it, your country has a fundamental problem that needs adressing.

Also:
    Did the game tell you about the Old Man and The Sea?
    0:-)

Quote Originally Posted by GAGA Extrem View Post
    It has been - by mods.

Deploying a few armies on rebel hunt should fix that. If it doesn't fix it, your country has a fundamental problem that needs adressing.

Also:
    0:-)
    Well it does fix it, but it gets boring after a while, killing more my own people than my enemies.Not sure what to do to counter the rising militancy, lategame it just starts going up, would lowering tarrifs and taxes help? Because I didnt notice any difference when I tried that last time.

Not sure what you mean with the old man and the sea, maybe thats some event that I dont even pay attention to, just select the answer when it appears.

200k clubAchtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCities: Skylines

Well it does fix it, but it gets boring after a while, killing more my own people than my enemies.Not sure what to do to counter the rising militancy, lategame it just starts going up, would lowering tarrifs and taxes help? Because I didnt notice any difference when I tried that last time.
    Well, if you go to the pop screen the MIL tooltip should give you a detailed breakdown about the factors that influence your pops. My guess is that either reform desire or war exhaustion make them angry.
    Lower taxes and tariffs will only help if they significantly lack life and everyday needs.

Not sure what you mean with the old man and the sea, maybe thats some event that I dont even pay attention to, just select the answer when it appears.
    It was one of the many workplace events that have almost no impact on the game, but constantly pop up and break the flow.
    ...not as bad as Morale Crusaders or the like, but still annoying.

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaEUIV: Art of WarCities: Skylines

I know that feel.

Yeah, it's even worse when you play Russia and get blanketed like that, it takes you a lot of time to defeat just one wave.

Again: A rebellion of this size is a clear sign of *something being very wrong*. (In the case of your screenshot it's obviously the communist regime and lack of political reforms that angers the people.)
    And there is no shame in accepting defeat (= letting the rebels take the capital). It costs a lot of prestige, but sometimes Jacobins can speed up your reform development by a decade or so - and that might be worth it.

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaEUIV: Art of WarCities: Skylines

Quote Originally Posted by GAGA Extrem View Post
    Again: A rebellion of this size is a clear sign of *something being very wrong*. (In the case of your screenshot it's obviously the communist regime and lack of political reforms that angers the people.)
    And there is no shame in accepting defeat (= letting the rebels take the capital). It costs a lot of prestige, but sometimes Jacobins can speed up your reform development by a decade or so - and that might be worth it.
    I wanted to roleplay as GDR, not become a democracy/constitutional monarchy again. The point is that the game becomes terribly frustrating to the point of being nearly unplayable if you ever go communist/fascist for flavor, there is nothing you can do (other than going democrat of course) to slow down the growth of militancy, not even after slaughering 3.3 million of your own people (in this revolt, i had others of similar size).

And this was with Germany, i can't imagine how horrible it would be with a world-spanning empire like the British empire with all those islands and far away colonies taken over by jacobins.

That moment when you're playing as Serbia and mother Russia gets completely crushed in a great war and the treacherous ottomans and austrians decide to take their cores(along with everything else) back and all you can do is sit and watch.
    Also not Vicky's fault, but when you lose a big alliance for not answering a call to arms because sound doesn't always work well in WINE.

Quote Originally Posted by Liborio View Post
    I wanted to roleplay as GDR, not become a democracy/constitutional monarchy again. The point is that the game becomes terribly frustrating to the point of being nearly unplayable if you ever go communist/fascist for flavor, there is nothing you can do (other than going democrat of course) to slow down the growth of militancy, not even after slaughering 3.3 million of your own people (in this revolt, i had others of similar size).
    Go play my DBZ modmod for PDM.
    It allows dictatorships to pass (and revoke) socoal reforms at will - with enough reforms and some extra concessions you can keep people calm for decades.+
    Somewhat gamey, but ideal if you want to RP your communist utopia.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessV2 Beta
    V2 AHD BetaPride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaEUIV: Art of War

Blog Entries
    Yes, this game can be frustrating at times. It's one of the big reasons why I love it so much, because you can't always do what you want and get away with it. The people have a say and sometimes they get really loud.

However, I do feel the OP's pain. Crashing due to background programs is definitely annoying.

I always autosave every year. It's just safer that way.
    I'm a 19th century man inflicting himself upon a 21st century world.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Unbelievers always want other people to act like Christians." - Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. -- Proverbs 17:28
    "If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." -- Joshua 24:15

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III Collection
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Béal Fierste, pero mi corazón está en España.
    When you destroy the Netherlands and come so close to annexing them, then Britain decides it hates Belgium.
    ن
    Irish Brigade Infantry Commander in the Victoria 2 Forum Revolt.

"Our revenge will be the laughter of our children."

Political Offtopic Tactical Assault Team Organization

"Too-ra loo-ra loo-ra loo, They're lookin' for monkeys up in the zoo, And if ever I had a face like you? I'd join the British army."

Currently In Love With: John Guidetti

Quote Originally Posted by LYNCHY View Post
    When you destroy the Netherlands
    Off topic but I read this as Neanderthals.

Your neighbour that is under your SoI grants MA to your enemy (like Switzerland and Belgium if you're France or Germany) and enemies comes everywhere.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast