+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4 29 44 52 53 54
Results 1,061 to 1,069 of 1069

Thread: Divide by ZERO: a PDM modmod

Thanks for the reply.

A tricky thing about balancing prestige loss from Infamy is that the total prestige lost is going to be proportional to the Square of the Infamy. Suppose you have a small Civilized nation that burns off 0.10 infamy/month, and the monthly prestige penalty is 0.05 per point of infamy. 5 Infamy will cost it 6.25 prestige; 10 Infamy will cost it 25 prestige; 11 Infamy will cost it 30.25 prestige. (assuming that it doesn't bottom-out)

As for the details of POP-promotion...combining the +20% from the budget with the +15% from a focus does have some heft to it. That will certainly have you sailing past the 3.5 percent state population mark. I had been neglecting the national focus. Additive and Subtractive penalties always interact interestingly. The same sort of penalty that will drop you from 3 to 2 will be much more potent if it's dropping you from 2 to 1 instead.

In the "Encourage Growth" NF, I understand that the engine places many limitations, but I'm curious as to why you chose to have the bonus come from a bunch of little province-by-province multipliers instead of one single value. Why +1+1+1+1+1 instead of +5?
    Once upon a time I made "Minecraft in Minecraft". That's my only real claim to fame.

EU4 Trade nodes should show Total Trade Power.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Lemurson View Post
    In the "Encourage Growth" NF, I understand that the engine places many limitations, but I'm curious as to why you chose to have the bonus come from a bunch of little province-by-province multipliers instead of one single value. Why +1+1+1+1+1 instead of +5?
    Simply because that's how National foci work, they apply a modifier to each province in the selected state. So as previously mentioned, it's all about silly engine limitations. Can't wait for the awesome mod-friendly work being done to EU and CK to reach the Vic series!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. B View Post
    Colonial nations are good. Just be sure to look after them when they are young, keep some troops around. They may need help fisting natives and the like.
    (...)
    (Edit: typing from smartphone; fighting natives, not fisting.)

Close the worLd,.txEn eht nepO GAGA Extrem's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    King Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCities: Skylines

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Lemurson View Post
    Because NF work on province scope, but (iirc) the local growth modifier does not work for whatever reason. I also can't use a smaller number because then the game rounds down to 0.
    Yeah. :[

Gosh, modding is hard! And even when you do the best you can with the limited tools available, everybody's a critic. Now to continue to being a critic:

I am curious about why you chose the growth bonus to be Global rather than Local. All other National Focuses seem to be purely for the benefit of the province in question. Are all growth bonuses just purely global? edit: you seem to have answered that already.

Secondly I'm wondering about the magnitude of Prestige penalties like "Small Navy". Civilized nations right off the bat can enact "The Rights of Man" for a bit of passive Prestige gain of +0.02 per month. Having a navy of merely 8 ships costs you -0.10 per month, 5 times higher! Couple that with penalties from Internal unrest, or even small amounts of Infamy War Exhaustion and +0.02 per month is completely overwhelmed to the point of irrelevance. I'm not criticizing the concept that Prestige should be "hard to get" but rather that the magnitude of the penalties you are working with seem a little disproportionate in comparison to the base PDM mod.
    Once upon a time I made "Minecraft in Minecraft". That's my only real claim to fame.

EU4 Trade nodes should show Total Trade Power.

Close the worLd,.txEn eht nepO GAGA Extrem's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    King Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCities: Skylines

Yes, they are harsh in the early game - but then again, that's why I added a lot more permanent prestige.

It is quite easy to pile up prestige, so the penalties have to be high. Static modifers are, well, static, so I can't change them over time (otherwise I'd just increase penalties over time) and I really don't want to add even more triggered modifiers - they are already annoying as it is.
    If you have 1000 prestige, even a -1.0 monthly loss isn't that terrible. Although I am thinking about excepting below-secondary powers from the fleet penalty.
    In the end, the penalty is nothing more than a "you have to pay 100$ extra per day to keep your prestige" thing anyway, so maybe I could just remove it. *shrug*

As for prestige itself: I am currently thinking about turning it into a sort of "currency" to avoid negative events.
    So a lot of negative events would receive an EVTOPT to pay prestige but suffer less (or no) consequences and events with obvious "A is better than B" option would also get some prestige penalty attached to them.
    But I am not 100% done with evaluating how that would change the feel of the game, so that won't be included for some time (if ever).

Hey, I have a problem. The Schleswig Holstein question just fired for me as Austria but I didn't get the Assert Hegemony CB like it was suppose to give me. What gives?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    Warlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of WarCrusader Kings II: Way of LifeEUIV: El Dorado

Quote Originally Posted by CommandoDude View Post
    Hey, I have a problem. The Schleswig Holstein question just fired for me as Austria but I didn't get the Assert Hegemony CB like it was suppose to give me. What gives?
    Wrong forum, this is the old one.
    Member of the Team of Réseau Gamers et Stratégie, a French strategy forum. I speak French and Swedish fluently, understand Spanish and somehow makes myself understandable in English.

Modding/Contributions/Translations:
    WtWSMS [A 480 Migrational Period Mod]: developer, French translator, misc, old beta-tester and maintining threads (across forums) for this mod mainly developed by Enlil
    VIET: currently translating into French | CK2+: old helper for French translation, did misc when needed | Nova Imperium: beta-tester, maintaining English thread

Join the Anti-Racism Group of the forums!

High-Commissary to the Spreading of the Glorious French Language Around The World! Official Godogost and a heir of WtWSMS! Defender and Saviour of Armorican Rights!

Is there somebody who could update the "north and south german culture merge" for PDM/0 ? it would be a nice sub sub mod.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    Warlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of WarCrusader Kings II: Way of LifeEUIV: El Dorado

Quote Originally Posted by dav77-b View Post
    Is there somebody who could update the "north and south german culture merge" for PDM/0 ? it would be a nice sub sub mod.
    Wrong forum, this is the old one.
    Member of the Team of Réseau Gamers et Stratégie, a French strategy forum. I speak French and Swedish fluently, understand Spanish and somehow makes myself understandable in English.

Modding/Contributions/Translations:
    WtWSMS [A 480 Migrational Period Mod]: developer, French translator, misc, old beta-tester and maintining threads (across forums) for this mod mainly developed by Enlil
    VIET: currently translating into French | CK2+: old helper for French translation, did misc when needed | Nova Imperium: beta-tester, maintaining English thread

Join the Anti-Racism Group of the forums!

High-Commissary to the Spreading of the Glorious French Language Around The World! Official Godogost and a heir of WtWSMS! Defender and Saviour of Armorican Rights!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4 29 44 52 53 54